Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How Not to Support Yourself Through College

I received my bachelor's degree from San Diego State University. I used to refer to it as the party capital of the USA.

I didn't intend to graduate from SDSU. I was attending the private University of San Diego, until we married after my freshman year, and my dad cut me off. No sweat. I went to the junior college near our apartment for my sophomore year, and then transferred to State for my junior and senior years. At that time, there were 35,000 students. I lived off campus with my husband, and, in the summer before my senior year, had our first child. I never participated in any of the activities on campus, by choice. I had other priorities.

Watching my son for the past four years has shown me how to live the college experience. He has never missed an opportunity presented to him, whether it be a dance, dinner at a professor's house, a trip to the beach, playing in sports, going to the movies, or just hanging out. He has lived, and loved, every moment of it. All the while getting straight A's. He's also made friends for a lifetime. Too bad he wasn't old enough to show me how to do it when it was my turn. Heck, I just wanted my degree so that I could get a good job. I think I missed the point to an extent.

Something tells me, though, that my living the college experience at San Diego State would have been vastly different than what my son has encountered at his little private Catholic college. He did it right. These students did it stupid. This was a drug ring that not only impacted the SDSU community, but the junior college (Mesa) that I attended, also.

My son taught piano, worked on campus, telecommuted for the company that he will be working for after graduation, and taught an online class to help support himself through school. He also worked every summer and Christmas break. That's how to make money for college. He spent every last penny that he'd been saving his entire life, but it was well worth it. Now he can make some money after he starts his full-time job. If those SDSU students were making a good living selling drugs, why bother with the hassle of completing their education? Except for the fact that most of their customers were probably other students like themselves.

Those arrested included a student who was about to receive a criminal justice degree and another who was to receive a master’s degree in homeland security.

“A sad commentary is that when one of these individuals was arrested, they inquired as (to) whether or not his arrest and incarceration would have an effect on him becoming a federal law enforcement officer . . .”

An advertised sale on cocaine from someone seeking a masters in homeland security and another in criminal justice? Puhleeeze! They deserve an "F" in business and a long prison term just for being such idiots.